Spunky... with a dash of salt.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Why I love my job

Some of you who were with me back when I was starting out on this blog, will remember me talking about my career change, from a full-time employee, to contract, self-employment. It has been an interesting journey, and I have learned so much. But today, I was reminded why I really do enjoy being able to work for clients that I WANT to work for, rather than be pigeon-holed into a cubicle and called up only when disaster strikes.

MissingLink Networks is one of my clients. My work for them involves software for the wine industry and I work directly with their clients, the wineries, and the winery staff. Of all the industries to work in, this is the one for me. Hehehe. So, I get back from lunch today, and there is a bottle of 2002 Rudd Oakville Estate Proprietary Red sitting on my desk. A little bonus for all of the work I'd done for this particular client, Rudd Wines (owned by the same people that own Dean & DeLuca). This is a $125 bottle of wine that you can only buy if you are a member of their club or have shipped from D&D.

That's not all! Two weeks ago, I had arranged a meeting of some of MissingLink's key clients to discuss requirements for an upcoming project. The very nice and charming young woman from Cain Five brought me a bottle of, of course, 2002 Cain Five. This one was a $100 bottle of wine. And the list continues. I've been given high end bottles from several of Napa's best small production wineries.

So now I don't mind when the clients call up and I have to help them. Heck, I WANT them to call up. You never know when you'll need a favor, and in Napa Valley, favors are worth more than the wine sometimes!

Now I just have to make sure that none of these collectibles end up on the table while I'm not home!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home