Spunky... with a dash of salt.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Let me be blunt

As promised, here are a few pics from the Yosemite trip. And to go along with this eye candy, I'll just tell a droll story that no one will read.

Matthew went back home to Michigan to see his family, including his new niece and nephew, so I was on my own. Granted, we haven't been seeing each other that long, so it's not like we had to spend the weekend together anyway. But we probably would have. LOL. Well, I decided to cook dinner for some of my friends from the chorus. My Thai cooking is a big hit.

I called Falzy and J, and texted Yanni and Woo. Falzy and J were able to make it so I set about running errands to get dinner ready. For some reason, you can't find authentic Thai ingredients in just any grocery store. Luckily, San Francisco has quite the selection of produce, you just have to know where to find it.
Having grown up on a family farm I learned to enjoy fresh produce. My mom was always stopping at local farmer's markets and road side fruit stands. So for me, there is something very comfortable about places like the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market. Tons of fresh organic produce, cheeses, breads and tons of other stuff line the walkways. I found some great fresh serrano peppers, shallots, Thai chilis (still on the bush stems), Kaffir lime leaves, and limes.

As much as the famer's market has, it still doesn't quite have all the essentials. I knew I would have to head to Battambang market over on Eddy. It's a great little market that has pretty much everthing I've ever needed to cook Thai food.

So, off I go.

I get to 5th & Market around 1:00 p.m. Now for those non-SFer's, 5th & Market is a very busy intersection near Union Square. The new shopping center is on this corner so the sidewalks are crawling with people. As in any high density urban area, pedestrians start getting a little forward with the cars when crossing the street.

There I am, waiting for the light to turn so I can cross 5th Street. There didn't seem to be any cars coming, but the light hadn't changed yet. Normally, I'd just skip on across, but for some reason I decided not to risk it. However, the hip-hop brother next to me decided he was in too much of a hurry to wait. He bolts across the street and nearly gets hit by an oncoming car. To make matters worse, there is a police car coming in the other direction.

The officer puts on the lights and siren, calls the guy over and starts chewing him a new one. By this time the light had changed and I was on my way across the street, walking by the "scene". As I walk by, I notice the jaywalking moron has a JOINT in his hand. I actually stop and look down at it, then up at the officer who apparently catches what I'm looking at. I just continue on to the other side of the street. I look back and the officer is making an arrest!

I don't know how stupid you have to be to jaywalk in front of a cop with a lit blunt, but apparently it still leaves just enough intelligence to dress yourself. Albeit very poorly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graet to read about your trip - it sounds like an amazing place.

What's with the blurred genitalia hot man ??

Cheers, Mrbee

www.mrbeesworld.blogspot.com

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home