Spunky... with a dash of salt.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Talk about infuriating...

Okay... I haven't really gotten super angry since the whole breakup. It's just not in my nature to either get boiling mad or stew over something. But I just had a quick conversation on yahoo with my ex. He's wanting to know how soon I am moving out of the house. Now I've checked with the title company and the mortgage company just to be sure I know where I stand. We are both on the mortgage, and the title is held as joint tenants (similar to any married couple). Now this means that by deafult I am a 50% owner in the property.

Let me back up a few months. He came home from training for a weekend. When he left, we went to Starbucks and he told me that I didn't have to worry about moving out right away when he got back. It was an understood decision that he wanted to keep the house and that I was going to move out. This lead me to believe that I would have some time to get things in order and deal with the house and find a new place to live. So I'm thinking I'd at least be able to stay through the summer, get ahead financially, etc.

So now, in the conversation, he wants to know how soon I'm moving out. And he's rather insistent about it, claiming the house will soon be his. Well... Now don't get me wrong, I'm not out for gold. I didn't get into this relationship to mooch, in fact, it's been nearly the opposite. I've paid for my half of everything. Most of the "stuff" in the house is mine. I'm the one that has taken care of the yard, done all the landscaping even did most of the interior painting. I've taken care of this house while he was gone, his cats, the pool, everything. Usually without much help from him. So other than the obvious awkwardness that I'm sure will ensue when he has his "company" over, I see no reason to just up and bail on something that I have given myself to for the last 2 years.

I've spoken with a lawyer and I know what I am legally entitled to. If he is aware of the same facts, I have to assume he thinks that I am ignorant and can be persuaded otherwise. Now, granted, I tend to be a bit naive about things. Actually, it's more of a trust thing. But I REFUSE to just walk away from this. The equity that my mortgage payments have been generating over the last 4 years [two houses] isn't something I can just leave, especially in the Bay Area where the cost of living ain't cheap.

I'm not going to let this ruin my entire weekend. I actually have plans today and tomorrow and I'm looking forward them! This is the first time in a very long time that I've been excited. I'm not going to see Brenton for quite some time (and that's a whole other bucket of hell) and I want to go out and not have to have something in the back of my mind nagging at me.

Well, the drama is about to start. I'm sure I'll be posting regularly once the ex is home. I don't like drama. I'm usually a drama free zone. But these next few weeks/months could make any daily soap opera look like a child's story.

3 Comments:

Blogger brenton said...

aw baby, you know what I think of him... Go out and enjoy yourself and don't let it get to you. You have the integrity and higher ground here and you know it.
This blog could be a good way to vent your frustrations.
I love you.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

OMG! It is a good thing you checked with a lawyer. Is there that sort of thing for drama too? Don't I wish. Hang in there Mike...

4:51 AM  
Blogger dpaste said...

Oh dear. I'd suggest you take deep breaths and remind yourself that as long as you hold firm and make sure you get what you deserve, nothing he says really matters in the long run. He can accuse and carry on, it's just words.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home